Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What Happens When You Watch Chocolat


I feel guilty posting about chocolate after a weekend at a conference about world hunger (post to come soon). But Ryan and I watched the movie Chocolat last night and I was inspired. Yes, to open my own chocolaterie, but mostly to make thick hot chocolate. With a dusting of cayenne pepper. Mmmm...


This morning, for breakfast, I did it. I know...not the healthiest breakfast imaginable. But I did use skim milk...


Actually, I wasn't completely happy with the recipe and so will not post it...but here is the pictorial documentation! It was delicious, but a little lumpy. I need to work with the combination of the ingredients.


 Also, the night before I left for Guelph, I made a big batch of chocolate chip pecan cookies! Some to comfort Ryan while I was gone and some to appease my travel-mates.


I healthified the recipe of a good friend of mine to create these cookies. I thought they were wonderful. And so did Ryan and my comrades. However, Ryan did claim they went stale faster than normal cookies. I'm not sure about that...

Chocolate Chip (Pecan) Cookies (adapted from Eunice Logan Chocolate Chip Cookies)
1 stick butter
1/2 cup shortening (I know, I know...right after that trans fat post too. But it works.)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 3.5 oz package instant vanilla pudding mix
1.5 cups all purpose flour
1.5 cups whole wheat flour
8 oz chocolate chips
1/2 cup pecan pieces (optional)

Soften butter and beat with shortening. Add in sugar and beat. Add eggs and vanilla and beat. Add baking soda and salt and beat. Add pudding mix and beat. Add flours and beat. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans. Drop by teaspoons onto baking sheet. Bake at 350 for about 8 minutes. Makes about 3.5 sheets full.

Nutritional Info (with pecans)
Calories (per cookie from 60 cookie batch): 88 (without pecans), 95 (with pecans)
Sat Fat: 2.2 g
Sodium: 76.9 mg
Carbs: 11.9 g (6.7 g sugar)
Protein: 1.2 g

1 comment:

  1. You are definitely making me hungry! Those chocolate chip and pecan cookies sound fantastic! You sure you don't wanna drop some of those off in Louisville? =) - by the way, a group of us KY bloggers started a Facebook group for fellow KY Food Bloggers, if you're interested, let me know!

    ReplyDelete