Saturday, February 26, 2011

Basil-Walnut Pesto

There is such a plethora of pestos in the recipe world that I felt like I had to clarify exactly what I put into mine. Of course, basil and pine nuts is traditional...but spinach and walnuts or kale and goat cheese are now considered perfectly valid.

I have actually never made pesto before. After confessing this to a friend last week, she claimed it only takes 5 minutes! And after realizing that I did not have to dig into our savings to purchase a bag of pine nuts, I had no other barriers. So, a few days ago, I took literally 5 minutes and made pesto. (And the best part is...Ryan washed my food processor for me!)

I chose my recipe by searching on Tastespotting, which is one of my primary sources of inspiration when it comes to food combinations and presentation. I would highly recommend you browse through the listings...but make sure to bookmark your favorites! Recipes are constantly being added.

Click here for the recipe I used. The basic ingredients are basil, walnuts, olive oil, salt, and cheese. I don't believe I added the salt and Parmesan worked beautifully as the cheese.


Ryan and I loved it on crackers. I also made a hummus and pesto sandwich for the road to Guelph and it was quite tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment