Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Dairy-free Blueberry Scones


I made these scones for a Ladies Tea last Saturday. They were my lactose-free baking expedition for the week. I realized too late that I had used real butter (which obviously contains dairy), but that could easily be substituted with margarine in the future.

The recipe came from allrecipes.com. I was trying to recreate a scone I had made with my friends at one of our past scone parties. (Yes. We have scone parties. And we usually make our scones lactose-free, since one of us is allergic.) I think I didn't find the exact recipe we had used, but it comes close.

Here is my version:

Dairy-free Blueberry Scones

1 1/2 cups AP flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup margarine, chilled
1 cup blueberries (fresh is best)
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 egg
2 tbsp raw sugar

Preheat oven to 375 F.

Cut margarine into mixture of flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add blueberries and toss to mix.

In a separate bowl, beat together applesauce and egg. Slowly pour into dry ingredients, stirring with a spatula until a dough forms. Knead gently a couple times.

Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, form each half into a 6 inch round. Sprinkle with raw sugar. Cut into wedges.


Bake on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper for about 20 minutes and serve warm!


The nutrition facts only apply if you make 12 scones. I made about 20 from one batch. It's up to you.

Nutrition Facts
User Entered Recipe
  12 Servings

Amount Per Serving
  Calories 144.7
  Total Fat 4.5 g
      Saturated Fat 0.6 g
      Polyunsaturated Fat 2.3 g
      Monounsaturated Fat 1.3 g
  Cholesterol 15.4 mg
  Sodium 230.4 mg
  Potassium 62.7 mg
  Total Carbohydrate 25.5 g
      Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
      Sugars 8.9 g
  Protein 2.9 g

  

They were quite good, although not very sweet (at least to me). They are not dry...which is the initial concern when removing dairy from a recipe. On the contrary, they were quite moist!

And yes...in my spare time I have been melting chocolate and dipping strawberries. What else am I supposed to do when berry prices hit rock bottom??

No comments:

Post a Comment