Thursday, February 3, 2011

No Time Like the Present

Dear Readers,

I could have put it off forever. But here we are. Me writing. You reading.

After many months' contemplation, a little coercion from my husband, and a couple weeks of debating over a name, I am starting my very own food blog!

I chose the name Pappardella for a couple of reasons.
1) Pappardelle is my favorite pasta shape. Not that these wide noodles taste exceptionally different from other shapes. But the most exquisite and savory pasta dishes I have eaten featured Pappardelle. And so...I've developed a fondness for the name.
2) Pappardella...being singular...refers to me. My maiden name is Papp...and the ella at the end was a coincidental perk.

I had some extra time tonight since my husband, Ryan, took a little longer at work. Completely understandable as it's his third day on the job! So I made a little dinner and took what pictures I could manage with his camera.

First up. Irish Soda Bread. Partly because I wanted something quick, but mostly because I hadn't made it before. I'm all for trying new recipes!

But of course I didn't follow it exactly. I rarely do nowadays. Life is too short.

Besides, I didn't have buttermilk.

So I substituted it with milk and lemon juice and used some whole-wheat flour instead of white..and all in all it was really easy! And it turned out beautifully if I may say so myself.


Here's the recipe:

Irish Soda Bread
Makes 1 loaf

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 3/4 cups milk
1 Tbsp lemon juice

Preheat oven to 425. Coat cookie sheet with baking spray.

Put lemon juice and milk into bowl and let sit for 2 minutes.

Whisk flour, salt, and baking soda together in a bowl. Make a well in the center and pour in most of the milk mixture. Mix well, first with wooden spoon and then with your hands. The dough should be a little soft. If necessary, add the rest of the milk.

Knead dough lightly and briefly on a floured counter. (I just gave mine a few turns in the bowl and it turned out fine.) Shape into an 8" round. Put onto cookie sheet and slash the top.

Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown. Transfer to wire rack to cool. Serve warm.


Nutrition Information:
Serving Size: 1/10 loaf
Calories: 194
Fat: 1.1 g
Sodium: 378 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 39.3
Protein: 7.1 g

Smear avocado and tuna atop a slice and it turns into a deliciously satisfying late-night meal.

I also made an orange mint salad with sweet reduced balsamic vinegar dressing. That didn't photograph very well in the final stages...but here are the orange slices waiting to be dressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment