Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Maple-Mustard Grilled Chicken Thighs with Truffle Roasted Potatoes and Grilled Asparagus--Gluten-free


This dinner blew everything I have made since the Croquembouche right out of the water. Ryan and I were "yumming" the whole way through the meal. The recipes for the chicken and potatoes came from Cooking Light, but I tailored them a little to be gluten-free, since this is my gluten-free week!

I have to say, breakfast and snacks are definitely the hardest to do gluten-free. This morning I had tapioca bread. You heard me. Tapioca starch...made into bread. Thankfully I got it on sale for about $2, but otherwise it would have been about $4.50! All of the specially made gluten-free foods are outrageously expensive. Want a bag of bagels? That'll be $7.50. How 'bout 8 chocolate chip cookies? $6. Oh, you want to make your own cookies? Well...$15 for a bag of GF all purpose flour and then don't forget to check your baking powder ingredient label and everything else you use for wheat protein and modified food starch from wheat! It's crazy.

Anyways. This dinner was flat out delicious.

Maple-Mustard Grilled Chicken Thighs

1/3 cup spicy brown mustard
2 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp yellow mustard
1 tbsp cider vinegar
2 tsp low-sodium GF soy sauce
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
8 bone-in skinless chicken thighs (I used four boneless thighs...so it's your prerogative)

Combine first 8 ingredients. Place half of the mixture in a ziploc bag and reserve the remaining mixture in a bowl to serve. Add chicken to bag and chill for two hours.

Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Grill thighs for about 8 minutes on each side or until done. (Ryan did all the grilling...so I'm not quite sure what method he used.) Serve with reserved sauce.


I made these potatoes because I had been dying to use the white truffle oil my sister and her husband brought back to us from their honeymoon. I'm not putting down any measurements because I didn't measure anything and it just varies with how many potatoes you want to make.

Truffled Roasted Potatoes

Red new potatoes
Olive oil
Garlic salt
Black pepper grinder
White truffle oil
Fresh basil

Preheat oven to 450 F. Wash potatoes and quarter. Place onto a foil-lined jelly-roll pan. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic salt. Crack pepper on top. Toss. Bake for 35 minutes or until browned and tender.

Remove from oven and drizzle with truffle oil. Tear basil leaves and sprinkle on top.


As for the asparagus, I just trimmed off the woody stems and Ryan grilled them while basting with olive oil mixed with some kosher salt and cracked black pepper.


All around...very delicious. And not difficult to make gluten-free at all. If you make this meal, I can guarantee you won't be disappointed. I will definitely make this for company sometime!



One of the first things I did after Ryan and I moved to my parents was to start my long-awaited herb garden. I will have to give you the overview sometime. But for now, here's the basil plant that provided its leaves:

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to try to impress Gabe with this!
    p.s. love the porch railing shot...very dynamic.

    ReplyDelete