Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Sweet Transitions: End of Semester Gooey Chocolate Pecan Bars

The total number of credits I have earned have classified me as a senior since December. But now that I've finished my third year of college, the title feels more official.

A senior! One more year. Actually...one more semester, then a 7 month internship. I'm on the homestretch!!

I made this recipe last week when we had some friends over and never got a chance to take a picture of it! Here is the link to the blog I got it from. Or should I say...from which I got it. :)

I healthified it a little. Perhaps I should keep that a secret on the home front. Whenever I tell Ryan that, he responds with something along the lines of, "That means it has zero calories and I can eat a lot of it, right??"

Here is my modified recipe:

Gooey Chocolate Pecan Bars

For the base:
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla

For the topping:
2 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup crushed pecans
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Heat the oven to 350 F and spray an 8X8-inch pan with non-stick spray.  Line the pan with parchment paper, leaving two inches hanging over the sides, and spray the paper with non-stick spray. I cut slits down the corners of the paper to help it stay better.

In a medium bowl whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and brown sugar until well blended.  Add in the butter, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix until smooth.

Turn the batter out into the pan and press it evenly into the pan.  It will be quite thick.

In the same bowl beat together the cream cheese, corn syrup, vanilla, butter, brown sugar, salt, egg, and flour until smooth and lighter in color.  Fold in the pecans and chocolate chips.

Carefully spread the topping over the base and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the filling is puffed and the edges are set, but the center is just a little wobbly.  Cool in the pan.  Use the parchment to remove the bars from the pan or just slice in the pan and serve on a plate. Vanilla ice cream is a fine accompaniment to this dessert!

Makes 16 bars

Nutritional Info:
Calories: 200
Fat: 10.3 g (Sat 4.6 g)
Cholesterol: 50.8 mg
Sodium: 94.8 mg
Carbs: 29 g (Fiber 1.4 g, Sugar 18.6 g)
Protein: 3 g

Last night we had some more friends over and I made Pork Chops with Spicy Citrus Glaze, Sweet Potato Chips, Bacon Cheddar Biscuits, and Chocolate Banana Bread Pudding with whipped cream! Recipes will appear in my next post!

Now I have a question to put to you. Especially now that I am writing for WebRD, I need more Nutrifact ideas.

So, what do you want to know? Please ask me any nutrition-related questions you have and I will do my best to answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment