Wednesday, June 19, 2013

A Dietitian's Plate: At Home

I thought it would be fun to let you in on how I eat by every once in a while posting pictures of everything I ate in a day. This is to show you how I work with what I have to eat healthfully.  To start, I'm just showing you a day where I happened to eat everything at home. Eventually, I would like to blog about days on the road or days when I have to pack lunches and so on.

So when I'm deciding what to eat for a meal, the main things I consider are:
1) does it contain at least three of the five food groups (grains, dairy, protein, vegetables, and fruit)?
and
2) does it contain a decent amount of protein?

I don't normally count calories unless I notice that a few pounds have crept back on and I need to get back on track. It's good to count calories for a couple days every now and then to make sure that your intuition about how much you should eat is accurate!

When I'm deciding what to eat for a snack, the main thing I consider is whether or not it contains both a carb and a protein food.

Unfortunately, these photos seem to be a bit blurry. I'll try to use Ryan's camera next time instead of my ancient iPhone 4.

So here's breakfast:
Whole grain toast, scrambled eggs with spinach, a kiwi, and a tall glass of water.
Four food groups and about 20 g of protein.


Three hours later, I ate lunch (leftovers...yeah):
Skinless/boneless chicken thigh, salad, roasted potatoes, a homemade muffin, and a tall glass of water.
Three food groups and about 20 g protein.


Five hours later, I had a snack:
An apple and plain nonfat Greek yogurt with strawberry jam.
Carb (apple) and protein (yogurt)


Two hours later, I had dinner!
Tuna Salad Niçoise from Cooking Light and crackers with Brie cheese
Four food groups and about 30 g protein.



And dessert.
Vanilla ice cream (half the fat) and mini chocolate chips.


So now you know how I go about eating healthfully in my daily life! Hope it's given you a little inspiration for your own diet.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! I'm trying to eat healthier more often and this is super helpful.

    ReplyDelete