Monday, January 16, 2012

Espresso Cookies


 For those of you who may not have realized by now, I am a dietetics student. As such I am required to be in an internship before I can sit for the RD (Registered Dietitian) exam. I attended orientation for said internship last week and have mixed feelings about my first day tomorrow. Yes, I suppose I am excited. But I know it will be a lot of work and a lot of time. Basically, I will be working full-time without pay while completing projects and assignments. Just glancing over my schedule gives me the chills...4:30 am shift coming up here in a couple weeks.

So I made these cookies for the potluck lunch at my orientation last week and they were a big hit. I've already had a couple requests for the recipe, so here 'tis!

Espresso Cookies
adapted from the Better Homes and Gardens Ultimate Cookie Book

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup shortening (I know...disappointing...but it's only 1/4 cup)
1 cup + 2 tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp + 1/2 tsp instant espresso powder
1 tbsp hot water
1 egg
2 cups AP flour
Coffee or espresso beans

In a large bowl, beat butter and shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the 1 cup sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.

In a small bowl, stir 2 tbsp espresso powder and hot water together until dissolved. Add to butter mixture with egg. Beat until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer, then stir in the rest.

Divide the dough into thirds. Shape them into 7" logs. Wrap each with plastic wrap. Chill about 2 hours or until firm.

Preheat the oven to 375. Using a sharp knife (you may have to clean it several times while slicing), cut logs into 3/8 inch slices. (No, put that ruler away. Just use your best judgment.) Place cookies about 2 inches apart on a parchment lined cookie sheet. (They WILL spread.) Combine 2 tbsp sugar and 1/2 tsp espresso powder and sprinkle over. Press 1-3 espresso beans into each cookie. Bake 9-10 minutes or until edges are light brown. Let stand for 1 minute on cookie sheet, then cool on wire rack.


The espresso beans make the cookie...please don't omit them.


I sprinkled the extra espresso sugar on my homemade Cappuccino.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Amy! I was going to ask you for the recipe, but I figured it would pop up on your blog soon enough ;p Btw, I love your tea cup set! I'm a sucker for vintage tea sets!!

    I know waking up way before the sun seems a little daunting, but you will learn so much! Especially about industrial kitchens/cooking. Tomorrow, I bet, they will start you off by shadowing "Little Bill", the A.M. Chef at East. He's a quiet little guy, but very kind and very good at what he does. I worked with everyone at East for 2 years, so you'll have to tell them "hello" from me! Some of the employees will try to take advantage of your "free help", so stick to your competencies while trying to not say "no." I really hope you have a great first 2 weeks at East! Can't wait to hear about it ;D

    ReplyDelete