Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Homemade Jam and Pasta with Vodka Cream Sauce

Yes, it's been a while. Being in Nicaragua for a mission trip is one of my excuses. Other than that, I honestly have not been cooking much. Ryan and I eat with other people a lot and I only end up making dinner 2-3 times a week. But last night I did make a yummy pasta with shrimp and a basic vodka cream sauce. And before I left for Nicaragua, my mom and I mixed up some raspberry jam with freshly picked raspberries straight from a friend's arbor. If you live in Lexington, you can find them for sale at the Alexandria Farmer's Market.


Just so you know, my secret recipe is the one in the box the pectin comes in. ;-)



Last night, I made this pasta. It's rather funny...the sauce was delicious. But the pasta itself was...undesirable. I used Ronzini whole wheat. I've used other whole wheat pastas before, but this one tasted obviously so. I would suggest reserving this brand for a dish that is supposed to taste healthy and will not be served to your husband.

I found the sauce recipe in my Pasta Bible by Jeni Wright. And modified it, of course.

Linguini with Prawns and Vodka

2 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove
1 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
scant 1/2 cup heavy cream
scant 1/2 cup 1% milk
6 oz linguini
12 oz precooked large shrimp
2 tbsp vodka
salt and ground black pepper

Bring water to a boil and cook pasta as directed on package.

Meanwhile, heat oil in medium saucepan, add garlic, and saute for about 30 seconds.

Add tomato paste and stir for about a minute, then add the cream and milk. Bring to a boil while stirring. Season with a little salt and pepper. Let it bubble until it thickens a bit, then remove from heat.

When the pasta is almost ready, add the shrimp and vodka to the sauce and toss quickly for 2-3 minutes.

Drain the pasta and pour into saucepan. Toss well and serve with crushed red pepper alongside.

No comments:

Post a Comment